Monday, May 27, 2013

Looking Ahead: Graduation and Beyond

I've been so busy with the need to work and finish school that my frequency at BJJ has been around 2x per week, both Gi. This doesn't bother me too much since I'm not a huge fan of no-gi, but I'm really looking forward to getting more training in over the next year.

Two weeks ago, I graduated from UGA after four and half crazy years. I have no business left in Athens or really anywhere in Georgia, so in a month or two I'll be relocating down to Florida and taking a year off to prepare for the LSAT. During this time, I'm going to be working full time and training my ass off.

So where do I go from here? I've spent over three years at Megalodon MMA and I'm going to miss it immensely. I learned how to first apply a triangle choke and scissor sweep an opponent there. I wouldn't be the grappler I am today without their help.

I'm part of the greater Alliance family, and I want to keep it that way if possible. So I have some scouting to do once I move. Hopefully I can find an Alliance gym that suits my needs in the scheduling department. I want to be there around 5x per week and compete a bunch before law school takes my time. But "best laid plans", as they say. My injuries are still lingering but not hindering, at the moment.

I've been working more guard passing and general top game and I see improvements even still. My guard retention is better and I'm hitting berimbolos and other DLR sweeps.


Also of note, at the beginning of April I participated in an in-house tournament at my gym and took 3rd. I finished my first match with an armbar, got choked by a massive dude in the second, and took another armbar in the third. I'm not too happy with my performance, but this was the first time I took a medal so I'll cut myself some slack. Really looking forward to demolishing the competition scene in the next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment