Thursday, May 5, 2011

Training Log 5/4

Started with some turtle techniques, including the "fatboy roll" which I'm already familiar with, pulling them back into your guard, and 2 types of rolls, one of which is a cool kneebar where you reach down and grab their leg (if it's in between yours) before rolling out.

Pretty rough night of rolling. I was in a four man group with Ankur, JC, and a newer/semi-regular white belt Mark who weighs 205lbs. I pretty much launched zero offense, as Ankur was able to pass my guard a couple times. JC defaulted to his secondary mode of attack, ankle locks, which he attempts if he can't get a hold of my collars. Largely avoided them but his crappy gi always tangles up my leg so it was pretty anticlimactic as usual. I tried working spider guard with Mark, but he just stacked the shit out of me and kept me defensive the whole time. Whenever he senses his arm in a precarious position he jolts it out with all his might and pretty much disengages, which makes it hard to do much. Tried the bicep slicer sweep but he used his weight to remain mostly static and careful. Almost had an armbar but he pulled out hard and stepped back. He nearly passed my guard off a failed spider guard sweep, but I turtled and avoided the proverbial loss of points.

Not feeling too bad considering Ankur said he was unable to sweep him too. I'm not sure if spider guard is the best technique for guys with 55 pound advantages on me, so I'm gonna work on more traditional closed guard with him next time and try out using butterfly hooks. See how that works.

I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that playing a lot of spider guard means I'll be taping my fingers up for the rest of my life. LOL. Ice and athletic tape ALL DAY LONG.

No comments:

Post a Comment