Monday, July 30, 2012

The "Summer of Jiu Jitsu" -- A Retrospect

I have been off the mats now for 2 weeks, rotting away in a hotel room with family without anything to do. This time off has given me an opportunity to look back on training so much this summer and analyze where my game currently stands.

1. The stand up work I've done this summer (mostly judo) has made me so much more comfortable on my feet. I would like to expand upon this and really work hard to sharpen my takedown ability. I don't want to feel like my only option in a match is to pull guard.

2. My guard has developed a bit on the defensive level. I feel like my bottom game has expanded a lot and I'm seeing a ton of good transitions now. I got my feet wet with X guard, played some spider guard, and worked a bunch of De La Riva and Reverse De La Riva. There are a lot of good sweep options I'm now familiar with and I need to continue to develop my guard so that it becomes much more offensive and aggressive.

3. Guard passing needs more work. Torreando in particular. Grips, grips, grips.

4. Take the back, maintain position, finish. Tons of great collar chokes are open. Seatbelt grip FIRST, hooks second. Glue upper body to their back and follow them as they struggle around. 


I can't wait to get back on the mats within the next week and start preparing for the IBJJF Atlanta Open on September 15. Win or lose, it will definitely be an awesome experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment